Thursday, September 29, 2011

Words To Live By

For the past few days, we've been working on storyboards at school, making sure that the kiddos have something to work with before we begin a large project involving photos and diagrams and narration and movies. I'm trying to model the process by demonstrating how to fill out a storyboard and coming clean about my strengths and weaknesses. Strengths: organization, multitasking, words. Weaknesses: procrastination, too many things at once, words.

So tonight, while I should have been grading warm-ups, I was putting together a photo book because the Living Social deal that I bought was going to expire tonight. Initially, I thought I would do a book all about the Girls, but that would require thought and time and care and love. Instead, I figured I would make something that I could use in school . . . a book of my favorite quotes accompanied by my favorite photographs. Here are a few that I particularly liked with the photos that I used:

127/365

Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else. Judy Garland

245/365

Never ruin an apology with an excuse. Benjamin Franklin

156/365

I have measured out my life in coffee spoons. T. S. Eliot

We Changed Plans

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. A. A. Milne

day144ish-007

Nature gave you the face you have at 20, but it is up to you to merit the face you have at 50. Coco Chanel

If Only

Do or do not. There is no try. Yoda

Tonight I should have graded some warm-ups. Instead, I made a book. I answered a dozen or so emails from students who are slightly panicked about their storyboards. I had dinner with my husband. I realized that maybe Buckaroo Banzai had it right after all when he said, "No matter where you go, there you are."
It's almost Friday . . . thankfully, 
Jill

*Blerg . . . I couldn't find the photo for the Yoda quote on Flickr. But I love it based on how passionately one of my students lobbied for its inclusion in our class quotationary.

2 comments:

  1. so fun!! and your girls ... MAN, they are definitely yours! ;) and so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea. i always want to start a book on quotes but then i forget to actually do it.

    ReplyDelete