Instead, I thought I would tell some secrets about him:
- Every time there's a Prince song on, he does this little dance that makes me grin from ear to ear. He likes Prince more than any white man with no rhythm should.
- He graciously spells words for me because he knows I am a poor speller. In fact, he just spelled "rhythm" for me.
- For our first married birthday together, he bravely ate the grapefruit meringue pie I made even though I used whole wheat flour, and it looked like it had bugs in it.
- He doesn't really say too much if I spend a day (or two) on the weekend in my pj's grading papers. If we do choose to go someplace, it's with an understanding that I will brush my teeth and hair, but there will be no makeup.
- If I need to, he lets me cry on his shoulder and doesn't say anything. It's kind of nice because people really shouldn't say anything when you are crying on their shoulder.
- He'll check on the dog just to make sure she's still breathing.
- When I get overly invested in a football game, he doesn't shush me or tell me to stop like some people I know (hint: our daughters).
- If we are on a trip to Philly or New York City and we're walking, he walks with me no matter how far we choose to hoof. I just have to remember to get us to a food cart earlier.
- He doesn't tease me about my grey hair and tells me that he likes it.
- He's one of the most compassionate people that I know. And he's never forgotten where he comes from or how far we've come.
- After 21 years, he still makes me laugh on a daily basis. Sometimes over something that he does like the whole "Cat in a box" idea. Sometimes over nothing at all.
- On weekend mornings, he lets me put my head on his shoulder and fall asleep there even though he knows I'll leave an ear print or press down on his chest.
- He owns everything that Pearl Jam and the Wu Tang Clan have ever released. I'd be hard pressed to tell you what they sing . . . fine, I could tell you some Pearl Jam songs, but the Wu Tang Clan is a mystery.
- He's cleaned the bathroom more than I ever have in my entire life. Add to that the laundry.
- He reads voraciously and shares what he reads with me. It doesn't matter what he's reading; it all gets shared.
- When we are together, he holds my hand in public.
- He still calls me "Sweetie" when he leaves me voicemail messages . . . and I save at least one of them when he's on the road in case I don't hear his voice again.
- He's provided an excellent example for our Girls for what a husband and a father should be like.
- He never ends a phone call without saying "I love you" . . . unless there are people in his office, but then he calls right back to tell me when they are gone.
|Dave . . . almost at 42|
Cheers . . . and I love you, Dave
*Edited: Went with a Steelers sweatshirt that he said he liked a few weeks ago . . . but I cleared it with him first.