Tuesday, November 9, 2010

8:30

{8:30}
Last night, I had dinner with a good friend.  I wasn't feeling well all day & almost picked up the phone to cancel at least 3 times.  But I didn't want to cancel.  I wanted this dinner.  Amy & I don't get together as much as we used to.  A long time ago, she was part of a couple in our group of good friends.  We spent our weekends watching bands or hanging out at a party/dive bar.  She's the type of person that everyone loves.  If a stranger sat down next to us one of two things would have happened.  First scenario: we began chatting, learned a lot about the stranger, & probably helped them solve a problem.  Second scenario: we informed the stranger that we were producers for MTV's reality tv department & we were looking for stars.   Both scenarios would drive Mark insane.  Name a pop star or group from early 2000's.  We've seen them.  We've offered a waiting father a beer in the parking lot of an N'Sync concert.  We snuck down for better seats at a Britney Spears concert.  And we talked our non-drinking friends to hold our extra beers at the Justin/Christina concert.  Don't judge.  You try going to a pop show with thousands of teenagers, you'd drink too.  We've had some fun.

But then that couple split & I knew we wouldn't see as much of each other.  It also happened during the first few months of my life as a new mom.  I was going through the biggest change of my life & that probably lessen the impact of what the split meant to & for me.  But I understood that she needed to be away from the group.  I knew she was making some big changes too.  Our friendship was going to have to change.  And that was ok.  Over the past 5 years, we see each other when we can.  And each time it feels good.  Our relationship is sort of like a good soap opera, but without the drama.  We can get together after a couple months & pick right up again.  She's hilarious, laid back, talented, & extremely supportive.  I know that when I need encouragement or good advice that she's stocked up to her eyeballs with it & will generously dole it out. 

Yesterday & every day, I'm grateful for my friend Amy.

-Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment